If you grew up following the fashion rule “no white after Labor Day or before Easter,” you might be surprised to learn that it’s passé. This custom is a hold over from the days when wealthy people wore cool whites in the summer; like a lot of trends, it trickled down to people in the middle class who aspired to wealth. I love wearing white jeans with flowy tops in the summer, and I’m not ready to put them away just yet (it’s still summer in Houston anyway,) so I shopped my closet for five ways to wear white jeans after Labor Day.
You can transition your white jeans into fall with a few seasonal updates:
- wear heavier knits
- wear darker colors like burgundy, hunter green, and midnight blue
- add animal print tops, belts, shoes, and scarves
- layer, layer, layer!
- bring out the booties that have languished in your closet all summer
- wear suede, a great summer-into-fall fabric
The white jeans I’m wearing are from cabi, a woman’s clothing line sold at home shows and private appointments, from a couple of seasons ago and are no longer available. This pair from Talbots and this one from Kut from the Kloth are similar.
5 Ways to Wear White Jeans After Labor Day
1. Pair a sleeveless top with suede fringe sandals; add a cardigan when it gets chilly.
3. A denim shirt is a classic with white jeans and booties or riding boots.
5. A reversible wrap/poncho is perfect over a t-shirt, and the red booties are a fun accent.
What do you think about wearing white jeans after Labor Day? Shop your closet for tops, sweaters, vests, and jackets that will look great with white jeans as the temperatures get colder. For more ideas about how to wear white after Labor Day, click here.