Yesterday, I wrote about my theme-based resolution for 2013, Less thinking, more doing again. My life has changed dramatically in the last two years because of less thinking and more doing, so I’m going to keep doing what works. To me, less thinking, more doing means getting out of my own way. I sometimes spend so much time planning and thinking and fretting about something I want to do that I don’t take action to make it happen! So: less thinking about calling someone to book a trunk show, more picking up the phone and calling; less thinking about going for a walk, more going for a walk; less thinking about having people over, more inviting people to come over (I really do want to have people over to watch the season 3 première of Downton Abbey – all Houston-area friends are welcome!)
Less Scarlett O’Hara:
I’ll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day!
More Jessica Herrin (CEO and co-founder of Stella & Dot):
When I started making jewelry in my living room, people thought I was crazy! I thought, “Yes, I am! But who cares – I’m on my path to happiness.”
Yesterday, to usher in my new/same theme, I invited a Facebook friend to be my friend in real life! We connected on Facebook for a specific, superficial reason, but then I started reading her posts, clicking through her pictures (I’m not a stalker, I promise!) and paying attention to things she liked, shared, or commented on, and I thought it would be fun to get to know her in person. So I sent her a message and asked if she’d like to meet for lunch or coffee…and she said yes! We haven’t set a date or time yet, but I’m ready when she is!
I mean, when was the last time you asked somebody to be your friend?
This year, I have a lot of business-related goals, but the ones I’m sharing today are personal. For the first time in my life, I am on my own. I have the time and space and a little money to do some things that I’ve always wanted to do but, for different reasons, haven’t. This is my More list for 2013:
- practice yoga
- take voice lessons
- take an acting class (it’ll take me a while to work up to this one!)
- visit friends I haven’t seen in a long time
- make new friends and nurture the new friendships I made in 2012 (you wouldn’t think this would be so hard for me, but it is)
- try online dating
- travel – first stop, NYC!
- exercise like I really mean it and get fit and trim and be able to run and play with Luke and Anna Jane (and be around in 10 years when their parents threaten to ship them off to Aunt Kelly!)
- volunteer – possibly at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where my mom was treated
- take Coco to doggie school (she needs a refresher course on doggie manners)
- get Coco certified as a therapy dog and take her to visit people in need of comfort
- cook – and enjoy it!
I don’t have a plan for doing any of the things on my list, but I’m working on it (in a good way, not in a spend-so-much-time-thinking-about-it-I-never-do-it way.) It’s not even about doing one or all of those specific things. It’s about being engaged in the world, staying connected with people, and living a vibrant, healthy, happy life.
What are your hopes for 2013? Do you set new year’s resolutions? I think 2013 is going to be a spectacular year!